tavarataivas (my stuff) | review



what the documentary is about: Petri Luukkainen puts all of his things in storage for one year and can only take back one item a day 

what this post is about: the reasons why I enjoyed this documentary 


Luukkainen's experiment intrigued me the moment I first read about it. As someone who has transitioned to a more minimalist lifestyle, I've thought a lot about all of the things that I own and their significance in my life. Luukkainen took one thing out of storage every day, but there's more to his experiment than that action. The documentary's website says that the experiement's result is "an everyday adventure driving him [Luukkainen] deeper and deeper into the empty spot in his heart...You’re right: this would be borderline insane even without his decision of constantly filming himself" (alright, that result may seem a bit deep, but trust me, the documentary is worth watching). 

what did I like about the documentary? 

I like that Luukkainen doesn't take an item out of storage every single day. There are days when he is shaken by certain life events and the way his feelings affect his actions just makes the documentary more relatable (you'll need to watch the documentary to see what I'm talking about!).

- I like that My Stuff shows the struggles of a person many of us can relate to, the kind of person who turns to buying stuff in order to feel better after a tough time. He wasn't always a minimalist and he shows that anyone can become one. 

- I like that Luukkainen feels content after owning _ things and finds himself perfectly fine with not having more than that (I'm not going to spoil the documentary and share the number -- again, watch it to see for yourself!).

- I like that the documentary isn't super serious (watch the part when he talks with his cousin or grandma!). My Stuff made me laugh and smile -- it wasn't just though-provoking, it was definitely entertaining as well.



Would I recommend watching My Stuff? Yes, yes I would! It's thought-provoking and it pushes you into thinking about what you really need in life. It made me wonder what I would do if I were in Luukkainen's position -- which items would I take first? Which items would I end up not using at all? How many items would I have until I feel like I have enough? 



      favorite lines from the documentary: