one hundred and fifty things to own


I have 50 items in my capsule wardrobe (achievement: unlocked!). But after saying goodbye to the pieces of clothing that I didn't need, I thought about everything else that I own. Is it possible for me to get rid of other things in my life that I find unnecessary? I came across this video (haha yes, I search videos on Youtube about minimalism for fun) and suddenly thought, Isabella, you must own 150 items. I knew that it would be a challenge, but if you know me then you'd know how stubborn I can be once I set my mind on something. 150 items? Yes, it's possible (although a bit challenging, definitely!)! Since I'll only have two suitcases with me when I study abroad during my junior year, I have decided on one of my goals for the school year




I was the kind of person who couldn’t go to the mall without buying something. A book, a shirt, even a tiny notebook sufficed! But now? Going to the mall upsets me. I think about consumerism, the materialistic society we live in, the necessity to keep buying and buying and buying. And that makes me unhappy. One day in the near future, I'd like to to backpack around for a year. How will I do that with a ton of things? All I want is a simple life. I don’t want to buy things that I’ll only use once and never use again. I want to spend money on experiences or things that I will use countless times, and I want to spend less time worrying about where my money is going and focus more on just living. I want to get rid of all the things that are weighing me down. *end of long, emotional confession*

I'll admit, 150 things might seem like a lot for some people. I have friends who can live off a backpack! I'm being realistic and honest with myself, and I know for a fact that living off a backpack right now in uni isn't something I'd like to do (but when I go travelling and backpacking in the future, that will be a definite goal of mine!). 

I chose the number 150 because I work well with numbers + having a specific goal in mind. Minimalism, however, isn't about the number of things you have -- can I own more or less than 150 things? Yes, it's possible, as long as I make sure that everything I own is of value to me. Minimalism is not something that can be measured. However, I like having my specific goal and I intend on achieving it! I've written down what to include on my list, so if you're wondering what my 150 items will be, here you go (!!!):

note: this list does not have household items, only personal ones. I did not include cleaning supplies, toiletries, kitchen items and furniture (I’m a uni student and when I travel, I don’t need any of these things with me -- I can just get up and leave all of them behind!). I have read countless posts from other blogs about what they count as one item on their lists and I have decided to follow suit (e.g. I count things such as underwear as a group and I don’t count chargers and cases and cables for my gadgets as extra items).

1 macbook + charger + case
1 phone + charger + cases
headphones
earphones
1 usb mic 
1 small bag for cables + my technology
1 set of speakers
1 hard drive
darth vader usb
1 microfiber cloth
1 juice external battery
1 camera + charger + case
1 instant photo printer 
1 box of film for photo printer 
1 wallet w/ids + cards
1 passport
1 pair of black sunglasses + case
1 pair of glasses + case
1 silver necklace
1 crystal necklace 
1 gold necklace
1 hair chain
Hair clips + hair ties + hair pins (hair accessories counted as a group)
1 white flower headband
1 pink flower headband
1 red flower headband
1 silver studded headband
1 pair of pearl earrings
1 pair of diamond earrings
1 gold bracelet 
gold rings (counted as a group)
1 pair of wish dust earrings
1 pair of birdcage earrings
1 pair of gold drop earrings
1 rosegold watch
1 silver watch
1 tin sandwich lunch box 
1 face towel 
1 body towel 
1 bag for personal hygiene items 
1 boar bristle brush
toothbrush
floss
1 shower hair brush
1 body brush
1 foot file
1 nail cutter
1 nail file
1 tweezer
1 water bottle
1 mason jar
1 white backpack
1 black backpack
1 black tote bag
1 black satchel
1 epilator
underwear + underwear bag (counted as a group) 
socks + black tights (counted as a group)
makeup + vanity bag (counted as a group)
1 bottle of perfume
swimsuit top and bottom (counted as a group)
1 laundry bag
1 universal adaptor 
1 pair of gray workout shorts 
1 pair of black workout shorts / board shorts 
1 graphic shirt (for the gym + loungewear)
1 graphic shirt (for the gym + loungewear)
1 graphic shirt (for the gym + loungewear)
1 graphic shirt (for the gym + loungewear)
1 graphic shirt (for the gym + loungewear
1 pair of black leggings 
1 pair of black sweatpants (as loungewear + pajamas)
1 pair of gray sweatpants (as loungewear + pajamas)
1 batman onesie 
1 pair of flip flops (also counts as room+beach slippers)
1 pair of gold sandals
1 pair of coral sneakers
1 pair of white keds
1 pair of black slip-on sneakers
1 pair of black boots
1 pair of black high heels (for formal occassions)
1 pair of black nike sneakers
1 pair of white platform sandals
1 plain white shirt
1 plain black shirt
1 plain gray shirt
1 black tank top
1 white tank top
1 gray and black striped top
1 denim chambray shirt 
1 plain black sweater
1 graphic sweater
1 graphic sweater
1 graphic sweater
1 white sweater
1 gray sweater
1 light blue sweater
1 black cardigan
1 oversized oatmeal cardigan
1 pink cardigan
1 white kimono
1 black + white kimono
1 floral kimono
1 navy blue sweater with white stripes
1 black romper
1 black shirt dress
1 maroon dress
1 white lace dress
1 denim dress
1 blue maxi dress
1 floral maxi dress
1 denim high waisted skirt
1 denim chambray skirt 
1 black maxi skirt
1 black a line skirt 
1 white skirt
1 maroon skirt
1 pair of black jeans
1 pair of light blue jeans
1 pair of denim jeans
1 pair of denim shorts
1 pair of black shorts
1 black clutch bag
1 white evening bag
1 blazer
1 little black dress
1 red dress
1 black and white damask dress
1 black leather jacket
1 suitcase
1 other suitcase
1 roxy carry-on bag
1 umbrella
1 flashlight
1 cap
1 floppy hat
1 tin container w/letters and polaroids and postcards
1 folder w/senior photos and important docs (certificates, transcripts, etc.)
1 lipstick container for my desk
1 ukelele
1 book(part of my rotating library)
1 book(part of my rotating library)
1 book(part of my rotating library)
1 book(part of my rotating library)
1 book(part of my rotating library)
1 bible
1 moleskine journal
1 mini notebook to keep in bag
1 poetry notebook 
1 pencil case w/stationary supplies (counted as a group)


This list is not a final one -- I have a feeling that by the end of the year, I'll be able to let go of even more things! Also, my capsule wardrobe will be different next year so I'll have to edit the list and add the pieces of clothing I intend on using, so the clothes mentioned in this list are certainly subject to change in the future. Making this list wasn't as hard as I thought though and I'm certain I can reach my goal by the end of the school year. ☺ *does a happy dance*