diy: cocoa dry shampoo


















To me, living a minimalist lifestyle includes tossing away the commercial products we are used to buying to make room for more natural products that leave our kitchens, bathrooms, and bedrooms clutter-free! I used to be one of those people who would have three bottles of different kinds of shampoo in her shower, but now that I make all of my own toiletries, I make sure that I only have what's necessary when it comes to what I put in my bathroom! In this post, I'll teach you how to make your own all-natural dry shampoo (it's super simple, I promise!).
Since it's not recommended to shampoo your hair every day, I wondered what I could use to prevent my head from becoming an oil slick. I thought commercial dry shampoo was the shiz when I first used it. I found a brand that worked really well for me, but I felt uneasy every time I read its list of ingredients or saw the flammable gas sticker on its label. 

(Butane, Isobutane, Propane, Sativa (Rice Startch), Cetrimonium Chloride, Coumarin, Eugenol, Parfum, Distearyldimonium chloride... why did I spray all of this on my hair for two years?)

I was delighted to find instructions on how to make all-natural dry shampoo (a million thank-yous to the wonders of the Internet!). 
In between washes, when your hair starts to get oily, search for cocoa powder and some cornstarch for your hair instead of reaching for commercial dry shampoo. 

You will need:
  • 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder (make sure it's unsweetened!)
  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch 
  • 1 old makeup brush (optional, but recommended)



All you need to do is mix the cornstarch with the cocoa powder and you're good to go! You can use an old makeup brush to put the powder on your scalp. If you don't have an old makeup brush lying around, you can just use your finger tips to rub the powder onto your scalp. After applying the powder onto your hair, brush your hair with a hairbrush to make sure that the powder is distributed evenly. Note: Make sure that you wait for a minute or two before you brush through your hair so that the powder has time to absorb the oil first!

This dry shampoo works well for people with dark hair. If you have lighter hair, put the cocoa powder away -- sprinkle two tablespoons of cornstarch on your hair instead!

Cornstarch works so well at absorbing the grease and the cocoa powder is simply used to add tint to it (if you have dark hair and use cornstarch without any tint, the cornstarch will be very visible and look terrible, trust me). The cocoa powder also makes this all-natural dry shampoo smell reaalllyyy good. Enjoy!